Prevent baby bottle tooth decay
Bottles given at naptime or bedtime can cause baby teeth to decay over time. Bacteria in the baby’s mouth and the natural sugar in fruit juice, soda, and even milk and formula linger, resulting in acids that erode teeth enamel. Here are some ways to help avoid the problem:
- Wipe your infant’s gums with gauze or a damp washcloth after feeding.
- Don’t allow your baby to fall asleep with a bottle.
- Never dip a pacifier in any type of sweetened syrup or liquid.
- Teach your baby to drink from a cup as soon as possible.
- Discourage your child from carrying around a bottle with sweetened liquids to sip all day.