How to care for your denture
A denture helps you chew, improves your speech, and supports your facial muscles. In return, it requires TLC:
- Brush your gums, tongue and palate every morning before you put in your denture.
- Remove and brush your denture daily with a denture cleanser or paste, using a soft-bristled toothbrush or denture brush, to remove food deposits and plaque.
- Avoid cleaning your denture in boiling water or dishwasher. It could warp.
- Remove your denture at night. This gives tissue a rest and normal cleansing by the tongue and saliva, promoting oral health.
- Soak in a denture cleanser or water when not wearing so your denture doesn’t dry out and lose its shape.
- If you have a partial denture, remove it before brushing your natural teeth.
- Leave denture adjustments and repairs to the experts.
As always, follow your dentist’s instructions on wearing and care, and continue your regular dental checkups to make sure your denture continues to fit properly.